SSIEM Dietitians Academy 2022
November 16 – 17, 2022
Welcome to the SSIEM Dietitians Group Academy.
Our third virtual course will be on Methylmalonic Acidaemia, on November 16 – 17, 2022.
Júlio César Rocha
Who are SSIEM DG?
The SSIEM-DG (Society for the Study of Inborn Errors of Metabolism - Dietitians Group) is a networking group for dietitians and nutritionists working in the field of inherited metabolic diseases (IMD). The group was founded in London 2008 and was formally established in 2010 as a sub-group of the SSIEM.
The SSIEM-DG welcomes members from all countries in the world. Please visit our webpage for more information and our committee members.
What is the purpose of the SSIEM DG Academy?
For many IMD, diet therapy is the fundamental treatment. Metabolic dietetics is a highly specialized area and dietitians should have access to training, education and research to help provide the best available practice.
One main aim of the SSIEM-DG is to provide education and training for dietitians and nutritionists caring for IMD patients.
Over the next few years, the SSIEM DG Committee in conjunction with the SSIEM Education and Training Advisory Committee (ETAC) aims to host a series of educational events providing teaching on key topics of metabolic dietetics. These courses will be taught by expert dietitians in the field and include plenary lectures, practical workshops and new research work.
All the events organized by the SSIEM-DG Academy will be independent from Industries.
Who is the Methylmalonic Acidaemia (MMA) for?
The course is primarily aimed at dietitians and nutritionists who are new to this area of dietetics, who are following at least one MMA patient and want to learn more about practical dietetic management and monitoring of MMA. Doctors with no dietitians in their team, who are providing dietetic management can be considered for the application.
What are the learning objectives?
- To begin or be able to plan dietetic management for MMA patients of different ages and clinical conditions.
- To understand and interpret biochemical markers and anthropometry in MMA.
- To learn more about transplantation and long-term clinical, nutritional and neurological outcomes in MMA
How to apply?
- Course application is opened from September 12th 2022, please use the link below to submit your application.
- As places are limited, if the course is oversubscribed there will be a selection process and completion of the application form will not guarantee a place on the course.
- In order to submit your application, you will need to upload these documents written in English:
- one-page curriculum vitae
- a supporting letter from your head of department/unit
- a letter outlining your experience and career interests, showing your professional interest in the IMD field.
The application deadline is October 7, 2022.
- Accepted delegates will be contacted approximately a week after the submission deadline and will have access to the pre-course resources and materials.
- Registration fees:
- SSIEM members that have paid a 2022 membership fee: free
- Non-SSIEM members:
EUR 90.00 for delegates from high income countries, EUR 40.00 for all other countries. Details of Countries can be found on the SSIEM website. Non-members are encouraged to become SSIEM members - please see membership information on the SSIEM website. Please note that most members of the SSIEM Dietitians Group would be Subsidised members at either EUR 90.00 or EUR 40.00 depending on country.
Delegates who complete more than 75% of the teaching time can choose to undertake a multiple-choice test, which will be evaluated by the SSIEM DG Committee.
For attendance at both days a non-CME ETAC certificate will be awarded.